Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I finished the Master's Bib Arch some time ago but have been taking some arch courses through Coursera to keep abreast of new discoveries. TGSAT; http://www.trinitytheology.org/ great programs at Trinity...hard work but well worth it...I have learned so much...I am at the place where at least I know which questions to research and some of what I don't yet know! I have found many new sources of free MOOC (massive open online course. So far, I have only taken courses through TGSAT and Coursera. They were all great learning experiences. I am enrolled in The Bible's Prehistory, Purpose, and Political Future (through Coursera)by Dr. Jacob L. Wright of Emory University at present...Dr Wright has a unique viewpoint of King David. I have already learned some more of the Mesopotamian tablets have been deciphered since the writing of the program for the Master's...and this course will introduce us to deciphering manuscripts in the next couple of weeks. I have wondered how scolars can read inormation in a "dead language format". But God is good...there is a "Rosetta Stone" in just about every major ancient city...not THE Rosetta Stone but something along the same lines...the ancients have written the contents in 3 or more languages...allowing us the opportunity of understanding (at least literally understanding) what is written in the unknown language/s. I thought it was interesting some of the ancient textual information is in the form of copies of letters written for a variety of state reasons. The letters are in envelopes, as well. The bad news is the letters and the envelope are both made of clay and have been 'fired' during seige. In order to get out the letter one must break the envelope. Wisely archaeologists have not done that and we are at a technological stage we are begiining to be able to see inside the envelope without damaging it. This same technology is helpful for rolled scrolls which might perish if unrolled and for viewing script on the back sides of wall stones without dislodging them. It is the same technology used to "layer" xray people.

No comments:

Post a Comment